Pecan Shorties are super simple to make, taste great, and will have everyone asking for more!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 20 shorties
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oc/350oF/gas 4. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Heat the nuts in a frying pan over a gentle heat until warm and your kitchen is filled with the smell of lovely, toasty pecans. Leave to cool, then coarsely chop or break up the nuts and mix them in with the flour.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. I used my free-standing electric mixer but you can also do this by hand with a wooden spoon and some good, old fashioned elbow grease.
- Mix in the icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time; if you’re using an electric mixer, it’s a good idea to have it set to the lowest speed to avoid your kitchen being covered in icing sugar!
- Once all the sugar has been incorporated add in the vanilla extract. My tip is to buy the best vanilla extract you can afford; it will make such a difference to the finished shortbread. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together for a minute, until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and pecan nuts to the butter and stir until it comes together in a firm dough. It’s best to do this by hand with a wooden spoon or spatula so you can make sure you don’t over-work the mixture.
- Divide the dough into 20 pieces and roll into neat balls before evenly spacing them on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to gently press the dough balls into a disc about 5.5cm wide and 1cm thick.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 15 minutes or until pale gold with slightly darker edges. I rotated the baking sheets half way through to ensure the shorties baked evenly.
- Once baked, leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Don’t throw away the greaseproof paper just yet. Resist the temptation to eat any of the biscuits at this point!
- When the biscuits are cool, gently heat the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, dip one side of the pecan shortie into the chocolate and lay, chocolate side up, onto the greaseproof paper.
Repeat with the rest of the biscuits. Once the chocolate has set, the shorties can be kept for up to 3 days in an air tight container.